Looking for advice for gamblers?
Do you gamble too much?
If you are affected by gambling problems, you will often spend a great deal of time and energy on planning your gambling sessions and actually gambling as well as struggling to make ends meet financially, perhaps by attempting to win back losses. In this way, gambling can have a devastating impact on other important aspects of life such as education, job, hobbies, and not least relationships. Compulsive gambling often develops over several years, but for some it may develop very quickly, and the negative consequences of problem gambling can be immense.
It can be hard to understand and accept that you cannot take control and stop gambling on your own. Many problem gamblers try to hide the extent of their gambling and perhaps lie about big losses and begin to isolate themselves. Consequently, it may seem both lonely and shameful to keep your gambling problem to yourself.
Can you relate?
When you begin to lose control of your gambling, it affects the way you think about gambling and the ability to make realistic and responsible choices.
You may erroneously begin to think that
- You win more than you lose because your memory becomes selective and sorts out the losses.
- You have special abilities or ways of gambling that enable you to win over the game.
- There is a system to when you win that you can see through although the games are completely random.
- You have not spent much time on winning because your sense of time is disturbed.
- You win if you behave in a certain way or remember your “good luck charm”, because you have started believing in your own or certain items’ magical abilities.
Levels of problem gambling
Gambling problems are divided into three levels from at-risk gambler to problem gambler and to compulsive gambler at the most severe end of the scale.
Research indicates that the reason why some develop an addiction to gambling is related to many different factors, for example factors related to the person, to the surroundings and society and to mechanisms in the games.
If you are in doubt about whether you are affected by gambling problems, we recommend that you call StopSpillet. When you call us, you can test the level of your gambling with one of our professional advisers.
Where can I get help?
It can be really difficult to ask for help, but it is also a great relief to talk to someone about your problems. At StopSpillet we are here to help you if you want to gain control of your gambling. With a better understanding of your situation, we advise you on how to move on from here.