Manager in a shop - what does it mean?
This guide is aimed at managers in shops selling bets and lotteries.
When you are a manager of a shop, you are responsible for ensuring that the rules of the gambling legislation are complied with.
Your most important tasks, among other things, are to ensure that:
- Bets are not sold to young people under the age of 18
- Lotteries are not sold to young people under the age of 16
- Staff is over the age of 18, if your shop is a betting shop
You can only be the manager of one shop. When you are approved as a manager, it only applies to the shop you stated, when you submitted your application.
If you resign as a manager or want to change your approval as a manager to other premises, you must write to the Danish Gambling Authority. Please use the Danish Gambling Authority’s contact form.
If you also want to be approved as a manager of a gambling arcade located in the same premises as the shop, you must complete and submit application form no. 8-01.
Betting and lotteries
As a manager, you must ensure that young people under 18 cannot buy bets and that young people under 16 cannot buy lotteries. If you are in doubt about the age of the customer, you must ask for identification to be sure that the customer is not too young to buy bets and/or lotteries. If you have employees, who sell gambling products, you must ensure that they are aware of the rules for age limits of the games.
If they can be properly monitored, there can be self-service betting terminals in shops (however, not terminals with electronically simulated sports events). For more information, please se our website spillemyndigheden.dk/en.
If your shop is a betting shop, all your employees must be over 18.
To be considered a betting shop, certain requirements must be met:
- The revenue from gambling products (e.g. betting, lotteries and gaming machines) must be more than 50 % of the total revenue.
- There cannot be significant sale of kiosk goods or groceries
- The betting shop must be designed and arranged particularly as a betting shop
A shop can only be considered a betting shop, when it is designed and arranged particularly as a betting shop.
Shops with a wide assortment of kiosk goods as well as petrol stations and supermarkets cannot be considered a betting shop. Regardless of whether the revenue from gambling is relatively large.
In betting shops, it is allowed to have self-service betting terminals with electronically simulated sports events.
It is required that the following information is visible in the shop:
- Signage saying that selling bets to persons under the age of 18 is prohibited.
- Signage saying that selling lotteries to persons under the age of 16 is prohibited.
It is required that material with the following content from the individual gambling operators is available at a prominent place at the point of sale:
- Information about responsible gambling and the potential harmful effects of gambling developed in cooperation with a treatment centre.
- Information about and contact information on Danish treatment centres.
- Information stating that the gambling operator is licensed and monitored by the Danish Gambling Authority (The Danish Gambling Authority’s label).
Guide to manager application
The application form is available at www.indberet.virk.dk. Enter “8-01 Ansøgning for bestyrer og personale” in the search bar. Next, you are guided to the form which must be completed, signed and submitted digitally.